Saturday, September 12, 2009

Thunder, Lightning, Hail, Frogs, Locusts

Well the thunder, lightning and hail part is all true.

This morning we ran 18mi in 2h:44min- the next to last 'long run' of our marathon training. The run was in Golden Gate Park, along the Great Highway and around Lake Merced - all in San Francisco. The marathon takes us through Golden Gate Park; miles 19-23 are around Lake Merced; and we'll finish on the Great Highway. So this morning was a preview.

The weather was half the story! On the drive up to SF this morning from San Jose, I saw a couple lightning strikes. We heard thunder during the run, and in GG Park it hailed on us. Otherwise pleasant, cool conditions for a run. :-)

I've learned something on every long run. This morning: I need to replenish electrolytes. Immediately after completing the run, both calves cramped up. Pretty painful. A teammate gave me a sodium/potassium tablet and 10min later - problem solved. On very long runs, one perspires enough, and loses enough salt, that it needs to be replenished. Muscle cramps are the first indication of a problem. I'm glad it happened this morning and not in a couple of weeks during the marathon. I'll take a sodium/potassium tablet or two during long runs from now on.

Achievements? 18mi is now the longest single distance I've ever run. Also, the first 13.1mi passed in under two hours, so that was the fastest half marathon of my life even though I wasn't deliberately trying to run a fast half.

3wks to the San Jose Rock & Roll Half Marathon: my time target of 1h:50min is within reach although it will be a challenging run - right around the limit of my speed/distance right now.

5wks to the Nike SF Full Marathon: 18mi was hard enough today that 26.2mi still seems daunting. I may have to dial back the pace a bit more to complete, but I really want to finish in sub four hours too. 5wks to take off another couple of pounds, add a little more strength and endurance, and practice getting hydration & nutrition straight during the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment