Saturday, September 26, 2009

20mi Monterey - Beautiful

This morning we ran the last long run before we 'taper' in advance of the marathon. 20 miles.

The setting was the Monterey Peninsula in Northern California - a run along the ocean on a cool, sunny Saturday morning - very beautiful.

You can re-trace the run here: Monterey 20mi. Be sure to click on Player.

I finished in just under 3hr - that's consistent with my target marathon pace. And for the first time, 26.2mi seems feasible. Won't be easy - but for the first time it actually seems conceivable.

Some of us followed the run with a natural ice bath in Monterey Bay. In the photo, I'm at far left. The fellow to my immediate left in the purple Team In Training race shirt is Keith - who has a (presently) incurable form of non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. According to Keith, the typical survival for someone with the specifics of his cancer is 7 years. He was diagnosed 1.5yrs ago. He has celebrated his May-October break from chemo by training with us. He already ran a full marathon in Kauai earlier this month, and will run the Nike SF Full with me on October 18th.

We all run and fund raise for folks like Keith.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! 20 miles! I couldn't do that even in my dreams. Hahaha. That is amazing. Motivated people always amaze me AND motivate me in turn. I love fitness and all the positive benefits it has. I am not a runner, but I do workout. Have a look at my fitness blog (www.fitafter9.blogspot.com) or my fitness website (www.fitafter9.com). I wish more people (especially my family and friends) would get into fitness too - for their health's sake. I know a number of people who have fallen victim or are survivors or currently battling cancer (in its many forms). So, more power to you and your team!

    ReplyDelete