Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tely 10 in 82:10

The training continues to go GREAT! We've been in Newfoundland for the last ten days. I've missed the Tuesday night track work-outs back in Los Gatos, but have enjoyed several 6-8mi runs around the town where I grew up. For those familiar, I've learned that one lap around Quidi Vidi Lake is 2.4mi; one lap around Kent's Pond is 0.9mi.

The highlight was the Tely 10 this morning. The "Tely 10" is a 10mi road race that has been run in St. John's, NL, on virtually the same course every year for the last 82 years (with the exception of a break during WWII). Even though I grew up in St. John's, I wasn't a runner back then; had never run the Tely 10 before. There were more than 2,600 spirited participants. My target was to break 90min. I SMASHED 90min! Finished in 82:10. That's now the fastest 10mi of my life, and it's under my 1/2 marathon target pace. I finished strong, sprinting for the last minute or so across the finish line. Felt really good.

But do you know what? Even though I felt I ran a great race, I nevertheless finished in the lower 50th percentile in my gender and age group; more than half finished faster than me! I kind of think its an indication of how seriously the Tely 10 is taken in Newfoundland - participants really prepare for it. But mainly it tells me that I can get better. And I will.

I'm looking forward to the San Jose Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in October. The FULL in San Francisco two weeks later is still daunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment