Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hellyer Park Long Run

We were introduced to 'Run-Walk' this morning. You choose an interval such as five or ten minutes, and divide into running:walking portions such as 4:1 (follow 4min running with 1min walking), or 8:2 (follow every 8min running with 2min walking).

This is a concept promoted by world famous marathoner and run coach Jeff Galloway. It's counter intuitive for most, but you can run faster half marathons and marathons this way! Different muscles are used for walking vs. running, so you give your running muscles a chance to recover while you're walking.

I joined a group running 7:1 this morning. We ran 6mi. This is the same distance I covered a week ago. A week ago, however, I ran it all - no walking. It's pretty interesting that we covered the same distance in the same time despite taking regular walking breaks. And I feel GREAT right now - I really don't feel fatigued at all. Last week I was tired.

Half the reason I joined Team In Training was to learn how to run / make it more enjoyable / get in to shape. We're off to a great start!

(And next week I'm going to start fundraising - which is the other half of the reason why I joined Team)

No comments:

Post a Comment