Sunday, November 1, 2009

1:49:03 Thrilling US Half


Wow. My most thrilling race yet!

Replay my run here.

As we ran toward the Golden Gate Bridge from Aquatic Park in San Francisco, and climbed up to it, we couldn't see the Bridge until we ran onto it - it was that foggy. However it was just that time of the morning when the fog was burning off. As we ran north across the bridge the fog slowly thinned. We emerged on the north side in brilliant sunshine. Then, as we descended down and around the bridge on its north east side, we were treated to a magnificent few of San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz, the City skyline and the Bridge through wisps of fog. Many runners around me were gasping at the view, as was I. We then ran south on the Bridge with the City skyline unfolding to our left while to our right we could see nothing but white fog.

Now it was a hard run! A tough climb up to the Bridge on the south side, slow climbs in both directions crossing the bridge, a tough climb back up to the Bridge on the north side and a final climb during the last mile through Fort Mason Park. Again the hills took their toll and the final three miles were fairly hard, but I was able to persevere for just three miles and finished strong. 1:49:03 is only a minute slower than my SJ Rock & Roll Half finish at the beginning of October, and SJ is a flat course.

I am thoroughly satisfied with the finish time, and thrilled about the experience. I'll try to run this race every year from now on!



No comments:

Post a Comment